Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 470 - Maybe It Wasn't So Bad?

I got my "certified" scores back from the GRE, and well, I'm two for three on meeting my target scores.  Maybe I didn't do as badly as I thought I did?

I got a 5.5 out of 6 on the analytical writing section, which means I probably missed a comma somewhere in one of my essays and therefore didn't have "perfect grammar."  But hey, at least I don't look like a total mental midget on paper!

Maybe I just overreacted after the test, which is a good possibility.  I am one of the first to admit that I am an overachiever, I am a perfectionist (sort of,) and I always expect 100% out of myself - even if that means beating myself up mentally and physically in order to get what I want.

The one thing that stands out, however, is that I have lost all ability to take a standardized test.  Granted, I didn't have that much of an ability in the first place.  All throughout elementary school, middle school, and high school I would get high scores on those silly "proficency tests," but they were never in proportion to my actual grade point average.  In fact, there was one year where I was getting a B+ in the most advanced math class for my grade and barely scored in the "proficient" range on the silly standardized test.

And yes, I did look that up.  Thank you, Mom, for keeping all of this stuff nice and organized.

I guess I don't have much left to do for graduate school before the anxiety-ridden wait begins.  I just have to come up with $50 for each application, $24 for transcripts, and a whole lot in postage and paper.  If I think about it, graduate school is already starting to cost a lot of money - and I haven't even been accepted yet!

-AA

No comments:

Post a Comment