Monday, February 15, 2010

Day 177 - "There's Nothing Sweeter Than Summertime - And American Honey"

Today's title is courtesy of Lady Antebellum's new single "American Honey," which might just be my new theme song for now. 

It's been crazy lately.  I finally learned how to do my own taxes, which was long overdue since I'm 23 and that's kind of an essential life skill.  I've applied for financial aid for graduate school (hooray) and learned that, if I play my cards right, the federal government says that I shouldn't have to pay for anything out of pocket for my master's degree.  Yippee!

On top of working, writing, and grad school applying, it's been a busy couple of weeks since I last wrote anything.  With that in mind, Matt and I took this past weekend as a little Valentine's Day getaway and went to Pittsburgh.  We spent a romantic night out for dinner and walking around Station Square, which is this really cool strip of stores and restaurants along one of the rivers that used to be a train station.  At night, all of the twinkling lights of the city and the river and being with Matt was absolutely amazing, even if I was in a black cocktail dress and freezing my butt off!  Then Sunday, we went to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History and the Carnegie Art Museum, which was a lot of fun. 

The museums were fun mainly because of the dinosaurs.  Side story - when I was younger, the bank that held my savings account had a program where, for a $10 deposit in your savings account, you got this really nice (like, Smithsonian catalog nice) dinosaur.  I had almost every one of them and would bury them in my sandbox, only to pretend to be an archeologist and dig them up later.  I thought dinosaurs were the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Now, however, it's back to the real world.  It felt absolutely wonderful to get away for a weekend, but now it's back to working, writing, and waiting for something from grad school about an assistantship interview.  I still have about another two weeks to wait.  When did I get so impatient?

-AA

No comments:

Post a Comment