Friday, October 2, 2009

Day 46 - "A Spoonful of Sugar Makes the Medicine Go Down"

I haven't written much lately because I caught the cold from hell. Normally, I'm a pretty healthy person, but my dad got sick two weekends ago, and then my allergies started acting up. From there, it was a quick downward spiral into the hell of coughing so much I thought I'd develop a six-pack before getting better, a fever, stuffy nose, and body aches from all of the coughing.

I really have been trying to keep myself healthy since I graduated, mainly because I don't know about the state of my health insurance. Multiple calls have resulted in vague answers about how normally college graduates aren't covered on their parent's plans, but yada yada yada blah blah blah. Since health care is expensive and so are my student loans, I've been working on staying healthy so I suddenly don't have to worry about a couple hundred of dollar visit to the emergency room.

In this respect, I really hope that the people in Washington really get to work on the health care package. I read an article a couple of months ago about how there are millions of Americans that are my age doing the same thing I have been doing - trying their best to stay well because of a lack of health insurance. Not only do we have to worry about young children, parents, and the elderly not having the insurance needed to take care of themselves or their families, but we also need to worry about the young twenty-somethings. We're at the point in our lives where we have those first jobs, but we may or may not get the benefits package because of the economy. We're young, daring, and sometimes stupid and those decisions may lead to injury that could become a problem for the rest of our lives.

It's another reason for wanting to get to grad school fast. At least as a student, I'll have incidental health insurance in case my dad decides to spread another bug from hell. However, incidental insurance won't pay for a new pair of glasses that I seem to be getting close to needing.

-AA

No comments:

Post a Comment